I acquired this little plane some time ago. The blade was black and covered with scale – straight out of heat treating. I took a while to get it set up – maybe 3 years!
For the first year or more, it sat in a drawer. Eventually, I got the blade out and cleaned it up on the linisher – near flat. Then it went back in the drawer for another year or so. Then I flattened back, ground the curve to suit the bottom of the plane and pur an edge on the blade. Checked the wedge for fit, and time for a plane test.
It worked – very nicely. OK – the blade profile isn’t quite right (too much curvature, bu that’s better than too little). But it makes a very nice hollow that matches the profile of the bottom.
Happy with that.