Remember the planter table I made? The one that I measured and cut, measured and cut, and it was still too short? This is the table I actually set out to build – or it will be mostly.
The hard work is done – joinery is completed. Because this is a fine piece, I took a lot of trouble to get the joinery just so. And to complicate things – there was only just enough material to make this piece – no replacements if I stuff up.
The material was milled from two slabs of Banksia – consecutive boards off the same tree. It was a step out into the unknown for me – new design, new joinery, and a delicate piece. I even made a prototype – the planter table. There was a good deal of procrastination before I put the saw into the slabs, and I’ve been proceeding slowly.
I made reference to element of risk in craftsmanship – where one wrong move can undo everything. Normally, I have spare material, and I have Plan B in case.
We’re not done yet, but this is a milestone.
Now for the fun part – I get to add the curves, to add lightness and feeling to the piece. Let’s hope I don’t stuff up.